Skip the airplane food, resort fees, and complaints from the back seat. These tips will help you transform your backyard into the getaway you and your family have been craving.
Create a Backyard Waterpark
No, we’re not talking about installing a pool. Rather, look into some fun water-focused activities. Sprinklers. A blow-up kiddie pool. Some water guns. All of these clever ‘treats’ can keep your kids entertained (and cool) for hours.
- Patio Umbrella (Don’t let too much sun ruin a good time. Make sure there’s a place to stay cool and protected without retreating to the indoors.)
- Funky Yard Sprinkler (A traditional sprinkler will definitely fit the bill. But to take it up a notch, consider getting a fun animal-shaped sprinkler.)
- Outdoor Toys (These could include beach ball, water guns, plastic buckets, and shovels,
- Lounge Chairs
- A Big Cooler
- Outdoor Speakers
Make Snacks Fun (and healthy)
Getting the kids involved with snack prep is one of the easiest ways to get them to eat a snack — especially if it’s healthy. Invite them to help you pick fruits they love. This might include:
Chop the fruit into bite-sized pieced. Then, fill ice pop molds with lemonade and cut up fruit. Add the ice pop sticks and freeze until firm. Not only is the prep a fun activity, it’s a great way to get some more nutrients into your kids’ diets. It can also be a healthy treat for mom and dad.
Build a Backyard Campsite
Nothing says camping like a firepit and the open sky. And that’s exactly what you can get in your own backyard.
- Fire Pit (Gas can be a really low-maintenance option. For a more traditional look and feel, a portable wood firepit gives you the ability to stoke the fire as desired.)
- Outdoor Games (These could include cornhole and kan jam)
Keep it Tasty with S’Mores
Nothing says camping quite like s’mores. This dessert is as fun to make as it is to eat. And, it can be pulled together in a pinch. At a bare minimum, you’ll want:
- Graham Crackers
- Chocolate Bars
But…you could take it up a notch with some unique fixings. Check out our guide to throwing the ultimate s’mores party to get more ideas.
Setup a Private Backyard Movie Theater
The magic of an outdoor movie offers an affordable twist on a trip to the cinema. There’s something extra exciting about watching a movie outside. And for the adults, something extra romantic.
- Plenty of Pillows and Cushions (You want to be comfortable through the entire show)
- Movie Screen (This can be created by suspending a thick white sheet, against a wall or between two polls.)
Don’t Forget the Treats
It wouldn’t be a proper movie night without treats. Standard candy and bagged popcorn will do in a pinch. But to make the night extra special, consider popping your own popcorn. Then, you can top it with whatever you want. (We’re partial to parmesan!)
You might also consider inviting the kids to help you make cookies in the morning. Like popsicles, this can help make dessert a two-for-one success — offering an activity and a sweet treat. Make baking with mom and dad educational, by asking your little to read the recipe and do all the measuring. Baking and cooking can be an excellent way to learn about fractions and sound out new words in a fun atmosphere.
More Fun Outdoor Tips
Take your backyard grilling up a notch. Discover how your patio can become your favorite outdoor restaurant with recipes that are packed with flavor. Whether it’s pizza, steak or a vegetarian-friendly grilled cabbage, this collection of delectable dishes is sure to satisfy.
The campfire. It’s been a symbol of communal gathering since the dawn of time. It’s the place where conversations linger and hearty belly laughs mingle. The campfire is a beacon that draws us together. And, the California Fire Pit’s Tahoe fire pit offers all that primal joy of a wood-burning fire in a portable model that’s built to last.